by Miche Genest1 head garlic
2 Tbsp (30 mL) olive oil, divided
*substitute sunflower oil 2 cups (475 mL) + 1 Tbsp (15 mL) sunflower seeds, divided
1 tbsp. (15 mL) butter
1 tsp (5 mL) crushed red pepper
1½ cups (350 mL) onion, chopped
4 cups (1 L) organic chicken stock
1 cup (250 mL) 35 percent cream
Coarse sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Slice the top off the head of garlic to expose the flesh, oil the outer skin and drizzle 1 tablespoon (15 mL) olive oil over top.
- Spread sunflower seeds on a parchment-lined baking sheet and place garlic at one end.
- Toast seeds for 7 to 10 minutes and transfer to a bowl.
- Return garlic to oven and roast for another 30 to 40 minutes, until soft.
- Heat remaining tablespoon (15 mL) oil and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add crushed red pepper and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add onion and sauté until translucent, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Squeeze roasted garlic from the papery skin right into the pot.
- Add sunflower seeds, reserving one tablespoon (15 mL).
- Add stock, bring to the boil over high heat and reduce to medium-low. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat and purée with an immersion blender or in small batches in food processor or blender until smooth.
- Press soup through a sieve.
- Transfer soup to a clean saucepan, add cream and heat through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a sprinkle of seeds over top.
Reprinted with permission from The Boreal Feast by Michele Genest (Harbour Publishing)