by Miche GenestLow Bush Cranberry Refresher
1 cup (250 mL) low bush cranberries, fresh or frozen
¼ cup (60 mL) Uncle Berwyn’s Pure Yukon Birch Syrup
4 cups (1 L) cold water
4 juniper berries
2 tsp (10 mL) crab apple sugar
- In a wide glass or plastic bowl, mash the berries with a fork to release their juices. (Wear an apron; the juices can squirt.)
- Whisk the syrup and water together and pour over the berries.
- Add juniper berries and crab apple sugar.
- Cover with cheesecloth and store on the back of the counter, out of direct sunlight.
- Stir frequently.
- After five or six days, strain, reserving cranberries for baking, and transfer to a re-sealable glass jar. Store in the fridge.