Adapted from “Homemade Bread” by the Food Editors of Farm Journal, 1969
2 cups whole wheat flour
3 eggs, separated
1 ½ cups milk
¼ cup melted rendered animal fat, plus a bit extra to grease the waffle iron
- Grease the electric waffle iron with melted rendered animal fat
- Preheat the waffle iron to Medium- High
- Separate the eggs and beat the egg whites until stiff and set them aside.
- Beat the egg yolks then beat in the milk and melted animal fat.
- Add the flour all at once and mix until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Fold in the beaten egg whites, leaving little fluffs of them showing in the batter.
- Spoon onto pre-heated waffle iron leaving an inch around the sides.
- Bake until the steaming stops or the signal light indicates that the waffles are baked.
- Serve hot with homemade butter and birch syrup or with honey or a berry sauce.
Makes about seven 7” waffles.