Adapted from original recipe at MOMables.com.
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 Tablespoons cream cheese (homemade, softened)
- ¼ teaspoon rhubarb juice
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Spray two cookie sheets well with non-stick cooking spray.
- Separate the eggs very carefully, making sure no yolk gets in the whites.
- In a small bowl, mix together the egg yolks, the 3 tablespoons of cream cheese and honey until smooth.
- In the other bowl add ¼ teaspoon of rhubarb juice to the egg whites and beat the whites on high speed until they are fluffy and form stiff peaks.
- Very carefully fold the egg yolk mixture into the egg whites until thoroughly mixed, being careful not to break down the fluffiness of the egg whites too much.
- With a large spoon, scoop the mixture into 10 even rounds on the sheets (roughly ¾ inch thick and 4 to 5 inches across).
- Bake on the middle rack for approximately 30 minutes. Cooking times may vary, so be sure to watch closely and pull them when the tops are golden brown.
- Remove from the pans and cool on a rack or cutting board.
- When they are fresh out of the oven, they are crumbly and similar to cooked meringue. Once they completely cool, (after being stored overnight in a plastic baggie or Tupperware container) they will change their consistency, to a softer bread texture that is nice and chewy. If you aren’t after the bread consistency, then eat them as they are, nice and crisp.