Submitted by Alfred Von Mirbach (his mother’s recipe)
Adapted by Suzanne Crocker
Ingredients for Northern Hollandaise/Mayonnaise:
3 egg yolks
1 – 2 tbsp rhubarb juice
½ cup butter
- Boil potatoes whole (peeled or unpeeled) until just starting to get tender. Then drain, peel and chop.
- Meanwhile, chop bacon and onion.
- Render bacon on low to medium heat in a very large skillet or large pot, until cooked and still soft – not crispy.
- Add onions to bacon and cook together for an additional 10 minutes.
- Chop apples and pickles.
- Add chopped potatoes to bacon and onion, then add apples, pickles and about 1 cup of stock.
- Cook on low heat for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until most of the stock is absorbed. Add more stock if it starts to dry out – that will depend on the type of potatoes.
- Meanwhile, make Northern Hollandaise sauce and let cool.
- Just before serving, stir in ½ cup of the mayonnaise. Add more if necessary.