By Miche Genest
½ cup softened butter
4 egg yolks
½ cup birch syrup
2 cups grated beets (2 to 3 medium sized beets)
2½ cups flour (wheat or rye)
1 cup Saskatoon berries
4 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 9” square or 9” round cake pan. Or line 18 muffin tins with paper liners. (If going for muffins, I highly suggest the muffin liners, otherwise they really stick to the muffin pan.)
- In a medium bowl, beat butter until fluffy, add egg yolks and beat until combined. Beat in birch syrup. (Don’t worry if the butter curdles.)
- Stir in grated beets and Saskatoon berries.
- Stir in flour to make a fairly stiff batter.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold into batter until thoroughly combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan or muffin tins. If there is not enough batter to fill every section of the muffin tin, remove liners from the empty sections and partially fill those sections with water.
- Bake on a middle rack in the oven for 50 to 60 minutes, until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Makes one 9” cake or 14 – 16 muffins.