from Miche Genest
Ingredients4 cups (1L) frozen rhubarb
1 tbsp (15 mL) low bush cranberries, for colour if your rhubarb is of the green variety
2 cups (480 mL) water
¼ cup honey or birch syrup
- Combine rhubarb, cranberries and water in a medium saucepan, adding more water as necessary to just cover the rhubarb.
- Bring to the boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour rhubarb and juice through a strainer into a clean saucepan. Reserve rhubarb pulp and set aside.
- Whisk honey or birch syrup into the rhubarb juice. Taste and add more sweetener as necessary. (Note that the birch syrup has a stronger flavour, and will be more noticeable in the final product; for a more rhubarb-y result use honey instead.)
- Bring to the boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Once syrup has boiled remove from heat, pour into hot, sterilized jars and process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.