10 oz (285 gr) potatoes (about 2 medium)
6 oz (170 gr) carrots (about 2 medium)
½ cup (125 mL) finely chopped onion
1 large egg
2 Tbsp (30 mL) chopped pork cracklings or browned milk solids from ghee-making
¼ cup (60 mL) ghee for frying
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Peel and coarsely grate potatoes and carrots into the same bowl.
- Gather grated vegetables into a clean tea cloth or cheesecloth, twist and squeeze as much juice out as you can. Save the juice for soup.
- Return grated vegetables to bowl and stir in the onion.
- Beat egg briefly and stir into vegetables.
- Stir in pork cracklings at the end. If using browned milk solids, warm to room temperature before adding, or, to save time, finely chop milk solids straight from the fridge.
- Melt ghee in a cast-iron frying pan over medium heat until it’s hot but not smoking, about 2 minutes.
- Making four latkes at a time, scoop two tablespoons each of latke mixture into the hot ghee and flatten with a spatula.
- Cook until the undersides are browned, about 4 to 5 minutes, flip and cook until the other sides are browned, about 4 to five minutes more.
- Drain on a plate lined with paper towels or a tea cloth and keep warm in the oven until all the latkes are finished.
- Latkes can be made ahead and reheated on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper in a 350°F oven for 5 minutes. Cooked latkes freeze well, and can be reheated in a 350°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
Makes about 20 3-inch latkes.