by Miche Genest
Not all 100% Local ingredients
New Potatoes Tossed in Wild Onion and Pumpkin Seed Pesto Wild Onion and Pumpkin Seed Pesto
1 cup (250 mL) chopped green or wild onions
1 clove garlic
¼ cup (60 mL) pumpkin seeds, lightly toasted
¼ cup (60 mL) sunflower oil
1 tsp (5 mL) apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp (15 mL) hot water
¼ cup (60 mL) crumbled feta cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine onions, garlic, and pumpkin seeds in food processor and whizz to a rough paste.
- Pour oil through the spout as machine is running.
- Add vinegar and, if necessary, hot water to loosen the pesto.
- Pour into bowl and stir in crumbled feta.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate overnight.
2 lbs (910 gr) new Yukon Gold potatoes
Sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F (190 C) and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Wash potatoes, pat dry and cut each one in half.
- Toss with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt to taste and spread out, skin side down.
- Bake until surfaces are slightly browned and insides are soft, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Toss with Wild Onion and Pumpkin Seed Pesto and keep warm until you’re ready to serve.
Reprinted with permission from The Boreal Feast by Michele Genest (Harbour Publishing)