by Leigh Joseph
Directions (Also applicable to other Fresh Greens)
- Blanche nettle in boiling water for 1 minute. (Save the nettle water from blanching for soup stock.)
- Immediately, transfer blanched nettle to an ice bath.
- Once nettle is cool enough to handle, grab bunches of nettle in your hand (no longer stinging!) and squeeze out as much water as you can. (Minimizing the water content before freezing, minimizes freezer burn.)
- Place nettle bundles on a cookie sheet lined with waxed paper.
- Freeze till solid then transfer frozen nettle bundles to a zip-lock freezer bag.
Use frozen nettle bundles in soups or stews throughout the year to add vitamin A, C, iron, magnesium, calcium and potassium — especially during the winter when fresh greens are hard to come by.